The Municipality of Skagway is accepting applications for an Advanced Practice Provider (Physician Assistant or Nurse Practitioner) to enhance our medical staff throughout the summer with a possibility of long term employment. Dahl Memorial Clinic is considered a remote site as travel is primarily by ferry, commuter plane and when the border is open by road to Whitehorse, YT and beyond. We would prefer to have a provider who can come to us with previous supervisory skills as well as clinical experience that would enhance our practice. As the Medical Director the applicant would be required to manage other midlevel providers as well as nurse(s) and medical assistants. This is a contracted position. Salary range depending on experience and negotiated per contract.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
To be successful in this position the individual must be able to do the following:
- Be eligible for licensure by the Alaska State Medical Board (in the case of a Physician Assistant) or the Alaska Board of Nursing (in the case of a Nurse Practitioner).
- Comply with all regulations set forth by those organizations.
- Hold ACLS, PALS and ATLS certifications, or be willing to obtain within six months of employment.
- Maintain Credentialing and Privileging that complies with Health Resources and Services (HRSA) guidelines applicable to those who are employed by a Community Health Center.
- Maintain DEA registration.
- Prescribe, order, administer or dispense medications per State Medical Board Section 12 AAC 40.450 and State Board of Pharmacy guidelines.
- Utilize electronic health record and hold to our 48 hour completion expectation.
- Consult with offsite clinical advisor as well as emergency room physicians, specialists and other.
- Be willing and able to learn to run a variety of diagnostic tests such as plain x-rays, EKGs, laboratory tests, and do initial interpretations prior to send out.
- Be willing to work extended hours as needed with little or no prior notice.
- Share 24/7 call schedule with other providers.
- Be willing to teach skills and concepts to others as required.
- Other duties as assigned.
Additional Duties as a Medical Director
- Directly supervise 1-3 midlevel providers, 1-3 nurses and 1-3 medical assistants in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws.
- Implement policies, procedures and protocols to ensure quality patient care in compliance with national standards of care.
- Participate in the writing and review of clinical policies.
- Provide input into the purchase of medical equipment and capital improvements as needed.
- Participate in clinic administrative meetings and other meetings as requested.
- Have organizational skills and be able to delegate tasks as appropriate.
- Be responsible for monthly call schedule and share in call with other providers.
- Participate in peer review process.
- Recognize and encourage those whose skills may compliment yours and use their attributes.
- Direct clinical staff meetings on a regular basis.
- Other duties as required.
This is not a complete job description.
Contact the Borough Clerk’s office at the address or phone number above or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org for an application or further information. The application and complete job description can also be downloaded from the website at www.skagway.org.
Applicants must submit a completed employment application form to the Borough Clerk’s office at the address above. This position is open until filled.