Physician Assistant- Primary Care
Galena, Alaska located on the Yukon River
- Small tight-knit community located on the banks of the mighty Yukon River in Interior Alaska. Galena is a perfect place for those who love the outdoors but also appreciate the comfort of a diverse small town.
- Unlike most rural villages, Galena has a diverse population and many amenities including an elder-assisted living facility, a local grocery store, a large subregional school, etc. (Two local stores, coffee shop, and the community has an Olympic sized swimming pool.
- Local outdoors activities include hunting, fishing, hiking, snow machining and dog mushing.
Permanent - Full
Who may Apply:
Physician Assistant providers that meet applicable licensure, credentialing, and privileging standards for physician assistant role.
The Tanana Chiefs Conference (TCC) is an Alaska Native non-profit corporation, charged with advancing Tribal self-determination and enhancing regional Native unity. TCC has an extensive rural health care system to support health and promote wellness to Indian Health Service beneficiaries.
The Tanana Chiefs Conference is now hiring for a Physician Assistant to join our Team at Chief Edgar Nollner Health Center in Galena, Alaska.
TCC is looking for a Physician Assistant that has proven clinical, organizational & people skills and also embodies respect, humility and cultural sensitivity. We are not just looking for a Family Nurse Practitioner we are looking for providers with both clinical skill and passion to share our vision and serve our families, friends and neighbors--providers that want to become part of our communities and grow to love Alaska and its peoples.
- Systematically assesses patients’ health status, arrives at appropriate diagnoses, and implements care plan for effective clinical outcomes.
- Considers thorough range of treatment/preventive options and arrives at a recommended course of action that is age appropriate, culturally appropriate, realistic, and attainable.
- Appropriately manages patient care and health status following initiation of treatment/preventive plan, and monitors and adjusts as warranted.
- Seeks consultation by providing adequate information to consulting physicians. Communicates requests effectively, or responds to such requests from the referral source in a courteous, professional, and timely manner.
- Documents according to established guidelines to facilitate ongoing quality of care in a timely manner.
- Performs the appropriate medical procedures within the scope of TCC Health Services as defined by the credentialing and privileging processes overseen by TCC’s Medical Executive Committee.
- Delegates direct and indirect patient care activities to appropriate personnel.
- Actively participates in collaborative care with other providers including other Physician Assistants, Nurse Practitioners, and Certified Nurse Midwives.
- Responds appropriately to emergent situations.
- Maintains and improves skill level through participation in relevant continuing medical education.
- Actively participates in clinical quality improvement initiatives.
- Reviews and follows up on complaints and concerns about medical care.
- Takes actions to ensure continuity of care for patients such as providing appropriate follow up after hospitalization, emergency room, and/or specialty care visits.
- Provides services to support the rural health care needs of the region served to include periodic village trips as determined by role, use of telehealth when appropriate, and full support of community health aides.
- Provides services in other health care facilities as indicated by role as defined by the credentialing and privileging processes of the specific health care facility.
- Demonstrates commitment to customers served.
- Communicates effectively with patients and family so that they understand their diagnosis, treatment plans, and need for follow-up care.
- Educates and encourages patients to become active participants in their own healthcare-related behavior and provides patient education materials for use in encouraging wellness.
- Reviews and follows up on complaints and concerns about medical care
- Is aware of different customer needs/desires and takes action to address
- Helps improve processes to meet customer needs.
- Suggests and acts on ideas to improve overall customer service.
- Respects confidentiality and shares information with only those who need to know.
- Contributes to effective and efficient practice management practices that support patient access to medical care and appropriate use of available resources.
- Participates in access planning for the medical team, ensuring appropriate amount of same-day patient access and availability for timely follow up with patients.
- Meets number of direct patient care hours as outlined in the employment agreement.
- Works to achieve targeted goals for patient care numbers.
- Fulfills commitments for on call assignments with clear communication and follow through on work initiated during call.
- Supports appropriate billing for professional services through timely documentation and maintaining adequate knowledge of TCC’s Health Services billing policies and procedures.
- Adheres to all relevant policies, procedures, and practice guidelines.
- Assists with the preparation for regulatory surveys.
- Responds to telephone calls in a timely fashion.
- Appropriately prescribes and orders ancillary services.
- Utilizes referral sources appropriately.
- Provides leadership for practice and community served
- Serves as a resource to colleagues and support staff, enhancing quality of care.
- Contributes to the training, orientation, and evaluation of clinical support staff.
- Regularly attends and actively participates in clinic staff meetings and medical staff meetings.
- Participates in appropriate medical staff and clinic committee structure.
- Participates in community education and other professional activities to promote TCC Health Services and Chief Andrew Isaac Health Center.
- Treats other employees with dignity and respect.
- Demonstrates open, honest communication and behavior.
- Resolves conflict in a positive manner.
- Meets organizational expectation.
- Completes all initial and annual required learning relevant to the role.
- Complies with all relevant laws, regulations, and policies.
- Contributes to a safe working environment.
- Performs other job related duties as assigned.
- Meet applicable licensure, credentialing, and privileging standards for physician assistant role.
- Due to differences in scope of care, practice, or service across settings, the specific experience required for this position may vary.
- Must pass background check pursuant to federal Indian Child Protection and Family Violence Prevention Act requirements.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong verbal, interpersonal, and analytical skills.
For more information, please contact:
Holly Weaver-Hall - Director Recruitment and Retention
Phone: 907-452-8251 Extension 3282